SWH training is the expert in Highways Apprenticeships across the UK, with apprentices travelling as far afield as Carlisle and Penzance. Winning on two separate occasions the City and Guilds of London Institute Medal for Excellence in Apprentice provision as well as the Civil Engineering Contractors Association Apprentice of the year six times; our Apprenticeships are recognised as “outstanding” by our many and varied clients.
The Level 2 Apprenticeship in Highways Maintenance – Excavations Operations is designed to develop the skills and knowledge of the Apprentice in the classroom and on site, enabling work on planned highway maintenance and repairs to be completed competently.
Some of our apprenticeships are partly funded by the European Social Fund (ESF).
What you will learn
In this exciting and varied career you will learn how to:
- Install, maintain and work within temporary traffic management (using traffic lights, conesand barriers to section off elements of the road from vehicles and pedestrians) on urban and rural roads whilst excavating and re-instating the highway
- Carry out repairs on all road categories and types laying new or replacement surfaces to specification
- Locate underground services, for example, gas and power cables and work safely around them
- Complete practical tasks carefully and in a timely fashion to ensure a project runs to time, within budget and to the agreed standards, without affecting the quality of the finished work
- Work with a wide range of hand / power tools and plant to repair potholes, cut, replace and reinstate pavements / kerbs, lay new surfaces using a variety of products and excavate materials to ensure roads and pathways are safe for use
- Be able to read technical information in order to understand what works needs to be completed
- Apply appropriate health, safety and environmental procedures to avoid injury and incidents
- NVQ (level two) Highways Maintenance - Excavation Operations
- Diploma (level two) Highways Maintenance - Excavation Operations
All Apprenticeships vacancies will be listed on our Careers page.