Plymouth Coach Station
In 2015, SWH Civils was appointed as the principal contractor for the construction of a new coach station in Plymouth, as the existing coach station at Bretonside was dated and no longer fit for purpose.
Work began in January 2016 and SWH Civils undertook the design and construction of the coach station and public car park comprising: 97 car parking spaces, seven coach bays and highway and surrounding works.
The works included:
- Site preparation including the demolition of existing car park
- Construction of reinforced concrete and soil reinforced retaining walls
- Drainage including the construction of attenuation crates
- Asphalt surfacing, Grouted Macadam, concrete pavement and granite paving
- Canopies – reinforced concrete bases, steelwork, drainage, Baileys Laserline Cladding and man safe access system
- Preparation of landscape areas
- Installation of street furniture including lighting, signs, electric car charging points, CCTV and alarm systems
- Surface treatments and white lining
- Traffic signal and general electrical infrastructure duct routes and chambers
- VRS/RRS barriers
In addition, the SWH Build team won the contract to fit out interior of the new ticket offices.
The project presented some challenges due to its busy city centre location. The site is surrounded on all sides by live businesses so continued access throughout the duration of the project was required. We undertook extensive consultation with all surrounding businesses to achieve buy-in and ensure open communication between all parties. Road closures were put in place to manage traffic flow and we installed a one way system around the perimeter of the site.
SWH Civils was able to offer some value engineering suggestions to make the project more affordable. This included introducing earth retaining structures in lieu of reinforced concrete walls, redesigning attenuation tanks and introducing grouted macadam.
This project has won awards including:
- Best Surface Car Park in the British Parking Awards 2017.
- Civil and Structural Concrete award in the Devon & Cornwall Concrete Society's Awards 2017.