North Devon Crematorium
North Devon Crematorium was originally built in the mid 1960s and needed to update and extend the original layout of its facilities to keep up with the ever increasing demand for its services.
To facilitate this, SWH Build undertook comprehensive alteration and refurbishment works on the Crematorium car park and buildings to meet the requirements of the client. These works included:
- Altering to the lower car park to facilitate the footprint of the new building
- Creating a new entrance from the road
- Adapting the existing entrance and exit from the road
- Extending the car parking
- Creating a new canopy to the existing chapel
- Altering to the existing building for new back of house work areas
- Building a new 256 seat service hall
- Building ‘quiet room’ to allow families with small children to be part of the service in a worry free environment
- Creating new public toilets
- Creating a new flower tribute area
- Improving disabled accessibility and parking
The building was designed to have a modern, airy feel whilst remaining comforting for visitors. To achieve this, SWH Build installed large roof lights, modern lighting and high ceilings which were complemented by traditional materials such as oak flooring, panelling and doors. To add to the modern feel, the coloured glass catafalque doors now form the focal point of the service space, framed by oversized entrance doors.
The fabric of the building comprised of a steel frame, which is finished using rendered panels, brick slips and cedar cladding.
Many features to the building were new to the facility, such as the quiet room for families with small children which includes one way glass and video links to TV screens. The building is also warmed by waste heat generated from the cremators, giving the building a low carbon footprint.
Extensive works were carried out externally, to increase car parking and access from the adjoining road. The surrounding grounds were enhanced to improve disabled access and complement the aesthetics of the new building.
SWH Build was at all times sensitive to the proximity of the services which continued to take place during the works. The team was discreet, keeping disruption to a minimum and always stopping work when a hearse and mourners arrived for a service. Any noisy work was carried out at weekends to ensure no disruption to visitors.
“It’s been a very good experience working with SWH Build. I would recommend SWH Build to anyone else… for the quality of the work that’s happened and the sheer effort that has gone into making this work for all the mourners and funeral directors that come here. We’re a sensitive site and it’s quite difficult to meet our needs and they’ve managed to do it. That’s impressive.”
Mark Drummond, Manager & Registrar, North Devon Crematorium
All images courtesy of Dextra Group.