King Alfred School refurbishment works
SWH Build undertook extensive structural and refurbishment works to King Alfred School’s A-Block, a large block building containing a number of classrooms. We also undertook minor refurbishment works throughout the main school buildings.
The works were programmed to take place at weekends and during the summer holidays of 2013 and 2014, leaving the building fully functional during term periods.
Our works on the A-block included:
- Extensive repair works to the existing building structure, including the installation of a structural steelwork frame to support the degrading first floor
- The installation of a specialist fire protection ceiling
- The renewal of mechanical, electrical and IT installations
- The replacement of windows
- Refurbishment and local redecoration
We also removed and replaced the heating system and boilers in the A-block and throughout the whole school.
Our works required close collaboration with the Client’s Architect and Structural Engineer to ensure a safe means for offloading, transporting and erecting the new structural steelwork to support the A-block’s structure.
Whilst at the school, we also discovered that there was a leaking roof above a classroom. This required remedial works to the roof and the replacement of parts of the roof with insulated single ply systems.
Immediately behind where our works were taking place was a sports facility. To ensure that our works did not have an effect on the sport facility’s business, we organised our site operations to ensure that the road was always clear.
All of our works were successfully completed on time.