Broadmeadow Starter Units
As part of the redevelopment of the Broadmeadow playing fields site, an area of the site was allocated to be retained by the Authority for the construction of small industrial units adjacent to the existing Broadmeadow Industrial Estate. These new facilities were intended to help address the shortage of quality employment space and attract new employment within Teignmouth for new and existing businesses.
The principle for the use of the land and the development was approved as part of the Morrison Supermarket Development.
The development agreement required Morrison’s to carry out general infrastructure works to make the site suitable and ready for development. This included:
- Forming the site
- A degree of remediation and ground improvements
- Provision of hard core and achieving site levels
- Basic boundary demarcation and fencing
- Bringing suitable services to the site
- Buildings constructed of steel portal framed construction with cold rolled steel cladding support system
- Reinforced concrete piles
- Reinforced insitu concrete ground beams and pile caps
- Methan and Radon gas ventilation sumps and membrane
- Semi-suspended reinforced concrete floor slabs
SWH Build was appointed at Stage D to take forward this design and build to construct 3 no. steel framed industrial units with associated external works, drainage and services.
One of the challenges faced when completing the scheme was that local traders had been disrupted previously by another contractor’s works constructing a supermarket on an adjacent site. The Council therefore was aware of business sensitivity to further construction works. To ensure that minimal disruption was caused, we consulted with local traders early on to understand how our works might impact their activities, and developed plans to mitigate these. For example, we made changes to original proposed site access arrangements and site traffic routes.
The project achieved BREEAM Very Good and SWH Build was subsequently awarded a further contract nearby for the same client.
Client: Teignbridge District Council
Contract Value: £2.5million
Year completed: 2015
Expertise: Redevelopment, Commercial
Hannah has more than 20 years' experience in civil engineering and building and has worked on large scale projects across the UK.Meet Hannah