Community Day celebrates 20 successful years of SWH
At SWH we take great pride in being a key part of the communities we live and work in. We have a significant programme of charity events which serve to raise funds for worthy causes throughout the region and many of our staff spend their time supporting a range of fantastic organisations across the South West.
So, when we hit a significant milestone in our business, 20 successful years during which time the company has grown and gone from strength to strength, it seemed natural that we would celebrate this by spending a day serving those within our communities. Every member of staff was given the opportunity to spend the day helping others however they wished.
Just some of the activities included:
- Our dedicated Build team assisted with the construction of a memorial garden at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, for those who have suffered the loss of a newborn child. Project leader, LeighAnne Hedges, said:
"SWH contacted me in connection with their 20th anniversary and were keen to support a local community project, in order to give something back – they chose to help us with the garden. They had just the one day and, honestly, I am so impressed with the work they did. It wasn't just the guys working on the project but the people working at head office were all so willing and keen to help”.
- Staff participated in Barnstaple’s Tidy up the Town Initiative, voluntarily cleaning signs and picking up litter in and around the town in a bid to support the local community. The aim of this project was to improve the way the town looked and to encourage community spirit. A number of our operatives undertook cleaning duties in South Molton as part of our celebrations.
- Staff at Rockbeare HQ spent time litter picking in the local area.
- Operatives helped 1st Pinhoe Scout troop install bollards at their HQ.
- The company’s chosen charity that we support throughout the year is the Devon Air Ambulance Trust. Some of our staff visited their local DAAT charity shop and spent the day helping out.
- The West Devon team visited CHICKS in Brentor, who provide respite breaks for disadvantaged children, to help with maintenance, painting and cleaning tasks.
Though this day provided a real push on community events, SWH is committed to supporting others year round. Our traffic management team regularly undertakes road closures for events right across the South West, including Remembrance Day parades, North Bovey Village Fair, the Devon County Show and Okehampton Carnival.
“Just a short message to convey our sincerest gratitude for the help and support you and your team from SWH provided before, during and after our Remembrance Day Parade last Sunday (8th November 2015).
Everyone has commented upon the event's resounding success and we are very impressed by the professional, dignified efforts of the two gentlemen from SWH who worked beyond our expectations to ensure a safe and effective procession, including the provision and placement of signs and respectful guidance during road closures.
I hope that SWH will to continue to support the community in such a sensitive and effective manner in the future.
On behalf of the community of Kingskerswell and all our heroes of the past, thank you so much.”
T Johnson, Kingskerswell Remembrance Day Parade, November 2015
Our SWH Signs division also supplied signs for the North Devon Veterans Association as part of a three day Armed Forced Event, which took place at Kingsley School, Bideford.