Brynsworthy Recycling Centre
Brynsworthy Recycling Centre (Commercial Premises)
This £4.1 million scheme, for North Devon District Council, involved the conversion and extension of a former meat processing plant to allow for the relocation of the council works unit.
Work also included installing solar panels and construction of a remote office and base for a weighstation.
The Contract included the following elements:
- Internal strip out of the former factory and offices
- Complete re-roofing of the existing building
- Refurbishment of the upper ground floor to provide 3700m2 of air conditioned office space with associated toilet areas and platform lift
- Refurbishment of similar areas on the lower ground floor to provide a disaster recovery suite, emergency management suite, WC facilities, showers, changing rooms, canteen and kitchen for the works unit staff
- Solar panels were installed to supplement the hot water and air source heat pumps, providing heating and cooling to the offices
- A 500Kva standby generator was installed to ensure that the Council can continue operation at all times
- The factory area became the recycling hall with new doors, cladding and an education viewing gallery
- Construction of a new extension to provide a waste transfer station and a six bay vehicle workshop with its own mess, WC and changing facility
- Construction of a remote office and base for a weighbridge
- Construction of a remote office and compound for BOC
- Bulk earthworks and construction of a reinforced earth retaining structure to the service yard
- Treatment of the service yard and extension area with a vilbro-piling ground improvement system
- Construction of 5,300m2 heavy duty reinforced concrete service yard
- Extensive drainage system with two 60,000 litres underground storage tanks. This provides storage for recycled water and SUDS compliance
- Installation of a lorry chassis wash, which utilised recycled water from the underground tanks
- Alterations to the entrance road with automatic barriers and a number plate recognition system
- Additional 92 car parking spaces and site road improvements
Take a look at our Case Studies to see more of our work.